...consider the lilies of the field; they neither toil or spin...Matthew 6:28

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

To suffer is gain


What is it that God wants us to experience during trials? What does He want to teach us? How does He want us to become a stronger, more mature people in our faith? During trials, we experience the presence of God. At these times we humble ourselves before God and admit that we need His presence. When adversity comes into our lives, we usually want God to do a removal job, but He desires to do an improving job. In Hebrews chapter 4, He says that He will give us grace to help in times of need.
“Let us come boldly unto the throne of  our gracious God.  There we might receive  His mercy , and we will find  grace to help us when we need it most.
(Hebrews 4:16)
God will not always change our circumstance, even though He has the power to. He would rather change us.
 The answer to our trials is changing our hearts, not our circumstances. Remember that when you get to the end of your rope, Jesus will still be there. Some people try to climb up that rope by manipulating and trying to maintain their pride. Yes, that’s ME!  It is not until suffering comes that we can really be humbled enough to learn what God wants to teach us in our lives. Through our trials, we are also able to express the praise of God.
“Yet if any man suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.” (I Peter 4:16)
God says that when you suffer as a Christian, He wants to receive the glory. One of the purposes of the trial that we are experiencing is that people can see that we are going forward for God in our lives, and are doing it through the strength of the Spirit of God. Anyone can be faithful during the good timesbut it takes someone with a real walk with God to be faithful during the difficult times. God is not playing games when suffering happens; God has a purpose and a plan. God wants to draw us closer to Himself so that through our faithfulness in the trial, He can receive honor and glory. Maybe you have had some trials in your life. Maybe some unexpected problems came along. You are realizing that you cannot handle things alone…you need God’s help. Turn to Him. Expect these trials to come as you are serving the Lord. Learn from His example. His goodness and love are waiting to be experienced through the trying of our faith.
All of this is so easier said than done, especially when we are constantly surrounded and bombarded with people who seem to live the charmed life.  They’ve got it all…or so it seems. I am guilty of comparing myself, time and time again.  I would love to accept who I am…my circumstances, my body, my trials…my pain.  And yet I find myself envious of people my age who don’t depend on drugs to keep them feeling normal.  So many days I feel trapped by my disease.  And then I remember that through it all, God has actually set me free from many of the selfish and nieve ways I had lived my life.
It’s so EASY being a Christian when everything is going like it’s supposed to.  That’s the part I had missed.  That’s the part I can share now, because I know it first hand…I’ve felt the hopelessness, doubt and despair.  Yet, I have chosen to rise above it…sure it hurts, daily.  But so did Christ.  Why should our lives be so perfect, when He was persecuted and suffered throughout His.  Christian means “little Christ.”  That’s not a coincidence.  Being a Christian isn’t about living the happy little life, getting dressed up and going to church, (because you should, and it looks good.)  NO.  Being a Christian is getting down in the trenches, and getting real with real people who are lost. It’s giving up our own desires and dreams and allowing God to work in our lives.  I’ll leave you with my very favorite quote from a mission worker who was lead to her death while her baby girl was left behind.  I pray that one day I can live with the kind of devotion she did:
“Lord, I give up all my own plans and purposes, all my own desires and hopes, and accept Thy will for my life. I give myself, my time, my all utterly to Thee. Fill me and seal me with Thine Holy Spirit. Use me as Thou wilt, send me where Thou wilt, work out Thy whole will in my life at ANY cost, now and forever. Amen.” -Betty Scott Stam

0 comments: