...consider the lilies of the field; they neither toil or spin...Matthew 6:28

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Grace


Of course we’ve all heard the word grace many times, whether in sermons, songs, books etc.  Some people are even given the name Grace, which I love, by the way.  But do we really understand the full meaning of grace? I didn’t….not until recently.  According to the biblical definition, grace is unmerited favor…or getting something good when you don’t deserve it.  It’s the loving kindness of God.
So many times we concentrate on what we don’t have in life…whether it’s things or dreams.  But what about ALL the times God has come through for us…when we’ve least expected it…when we didn’t ask for anything?  Lately, I’ve heard God’s voice loud and clear and grace has hit me between the eyes time and time again.  Or maybe I’ve just been more attuned to it.  In an effort to understand grace better, I prayed, “Lord, show me your grace.”  Memories of the past came flooding in, carrying with them many blessings that I have received.  Times of unmerited favor.
Kristin, you’ve lived healthily all of your  life and I spared you from accidents or death?
Ah yes, that was Grace, Lord.  
You’ve never wanted for anything…I blessed you with a wonderful Christian family, 2 healthy, involved parents and 3 wonderful siblings.
That too was Grace.
I gave you a healthy, beautiful child who’s never once been sick.
Certainly Grace, Father. 
I was beginning to see a pattern.  Then a flurry of other times God has shown me unearned favor flooded my mind.
Getting to be a stay-at-home mom from the moment Camryn was born.
God’s provision for me financially, just when I’ve needed it most.
The blessing of wonderful MS drugs that I couldn’t live as fully without.
Tender compassion from friends and family that I don’t deserve.
A wonderful, thoughtful, self sacrificial husband that I didn’t ask for.
I became overwhelmed with how much grace, how much unearned favor God has lavished on me in love and I have become painfully aware of my total ingratitude toward God.  Throwing a tantrum because I wanted more and I thought I got less.  It was as if the Lord was saying “See how much I have given you that you didn’t deserve, didn’t earn, and almost always didn’t ask for?  See my grace?  See how much I love you?”

0 comments: